Pairs well with YUMiGrains!
Makes 6 servings
Cooking time: 25 minutes
Carb exchange: 1.5 carb exchanges
Fat: 5.3g per serving
- 3 cups (750 mL) beets, raw
- 4 ½ cups (1125 mL) baby spinach and/or arugula, raw
- 4 tsp (20 mL) pecans, roasted, chopped
- 1 ½ tsp (7.5 mL) cheese, goat, 12% M.F., crumbled
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) onion, red, raw, diced
- ½ tsp (2.5 mL) mustard, dijon
- 1.5 tbsp (22.5 mL) oil, olive
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) vinegar, balsamic
- 1/4 tsp (1.25 mL) salt, table
- 1/4 tsp (1.25 mL) pepper, black, ground
- Remove the skin of the beets and cut in pieces (optional: cut in spirals).
- Whisk dijon mustard, olive oil, balsamic vinegar, salt and pepper in a bowl. Mix the spiralized beets with the dressing and let marinate for 1 hour.
- To serve, combine 3/4 cup greens with cooked YUMiGrains. Add 1/2 cup of beets with dressing. Top with roasted pecans, crumbled goat cheese, and diced red onion.
Tips and Nutrition Benefits:
1. Once the salad is mixed, the goat cheese will spread and also act as a dressing, thus you will find that you don’t need much dressing on the salad!
2. If you don’t own a spiralizer, the beets can also be boiled and diced. However, beet spirals or thin strips are highly recommended, as they allow the maximum amount of vitamins and minerals to be kept, since they are not cooked!
3. Each serving gives 6g of fiber, accounting for a quarter of your daily needs – great for glycemic control.