Cooking time: 20 minutes
Carb exchange: 0 carb exchange
- 2 Tbsp (30 mL) canola oil
- 1 small zucchini, cut lengthwise in 3 long strips
- 1 red bell pepper, cored, seeds removed, sliced in half
- 1 just ripe avocado, peeled, sliced in half
- ½ small red onion, sliced in half
- 20-30mL lime juice (or juice of 1 lime)
- ¼ cup (60 mL) cilantro, minced
- Prepare pan by brushing with canola oil. Preheat pan to medium-high.
- Lightly brush both sides of vegetables with 1 Tbsp (15 mL) of the canola oil. Place zucchini strips, bell pepper, avocado halves and onion on the pan for about 3 to 4 minutes per side.
- Remove from pan. Finely dice zucchini, pepper and onion. Place in large bowl. Add avocado and mash in.
- Stir in remaining canola oil, lime juice and cilantro. Refrigerate until serving.
- Serve with whole wheat tortilla chips
Nutritional Benefits:1. This homemade dip can lower your daily salt intake by avoiding the hidden salt in most commercial dips.
2. Don't be afraid of the 7g of fat per serving -- this mainly comes from the avocado and canola oil healthy fat sources in this recipe.
3. Adding grilled vegetables to your traditional guacamole is a great way to pack extra vitamins and nutrients in a delicious snack!