Pairs well with Freshly Greek whole grain mix
Makes: 4 Servings
Preparing Time: 10 mins
*Start cooking the Freshly Greek whole grain mix while preparing this dish
- 2 fennel, stalks and core removed , very thinly sliced
- ¼ cup red onion, thinly sliced
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 2 tsp lemon zest
- 1 grapefruit, peeled and segmented
- 1 orange, peeled and segmented
- 1/2 tbsp mint leaves, chopped
- 1/4 cup toasted pine nuts or slivered almonds
- salt and pepper
1. In a bowl, toss the fennel with olive oil, lemon juice, lemon zest, and a pinch of salt.
2. Transfer to a large serving plate. Scatter with segmented grapefruit and orange, mint leaves, pine nuts. Ground fresh pepper to taste. Mix in Freshly Greek whole grains and serve.
Check this video on how to cut funnel: youtube.com/watch?v=LW0OCAnBYq8
Tips and Tricks
- To appreciate the sweet anise taste of fennel and pungent onion, slice thinly with a mandoline.
- For a little variation, replace grapefruit and orange with grilled peach and nectarine.
- For an elaborate salad, add in spinach or arugula along with fennel.